Cross Arcade, from Queen Victoria Street
Undated. View of Cross Arcade running between Queen Victoria Street and King Edward Street, showing elaborate roof and street lights, with Marks & Spencer on either side. Michael Marks began trading in Kirkgate Market in 1884, going on to take brick-built shops in Block 15 of the market in 1896. This photograph shows the first shop occupied by the 'Original Penny Bazaar' outside the market, where it operated from 1904. The Cross Arcade, along with the adjoining County Arcade and also the Empire Theatre, was part of a development designed by Frank Matcham and built between 1897 and 1902. The whole complex was turned into the Victoria Quarter shopping centre between 1989 and the early 1990s, with Queen Victoria Street being roofed over with stained glass. This image is part of the McKenna Collection.