The Headrow, Victoria Arcade
18th December 1949. View looks straight down Victoria Arcade from The Headrow. Shops featured are Campbells furnishers and H.G. Shipham Ltd., hosiers, on the left and Schofields Department Store to the right. Designed by Thomas Ambler, Victoria Arcade was built in 1898 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. Snowden Schofield (1870-1949) opened his drapery business at number 1 Victoria Arcade on the 4th May, 1901 and began to expand his business, gradually acquiring more shops in the arcade. Schofield purchased the Victoria Arcade in 1947 and it was demolished in 1959 for the expansion plans. Years earlier, in 1912, he had also purchased Red Hall as part of his plans for the department store. King Charles Croft gave access to Red Hall, a substantial house believed to be the first building to be constructed in red brick in Leeds, hence the name. It dated from 1628 and was originally the home of wool merchant, Alderman Thomas Metcalfe. The grounds, including orchards, extended as far as Albion Place and King Charles Croft now occupies the site of the gardens of Red Hall. Red Hall was famous for the 9th February 1646 when King Charles 1 spent the night, as a prisoner of the Scots, on the journey from Newark to Newcastle. The room became known as the King's Chamber and was incorporated into Schofields 'Old English Cafe' in 1912. Red Hall was demolished in 1961 for the continued development of Schofields. The Core shopping centre is now on the site.