Headrow, Odeon Cinema
14th March 1946. The Odeon Cinema with a clear view of the neon canopy, promoting the films 'The House on Ninety Second Street' and 'Sun Valley Serenade'. The cinema opened on 22nd February 1932 as the Paramount, with a showing of "The Smiling Lieutenant" starring Maurice Chevalier. and became the Odeon in 1940. The architect Frank T. Verity designed the building with the facade completed in accordance with the designs of Sir Reginald Blomfield to match the rest of The Headrow. The cinema closed in October 2001 and a branch of Primark opened in the building in 2005.
One of the attractions of going to the 'town' pictures was the organ which played sing-along tunes of the day. The Odeon had a Wurlitzer organ and was for many years played by Henry Crousden. The Ritz in Vicar Lane also had an organ. The recital lasted about 20 minutes and was usually in the interval between the supporting and 'big' picture.