H & D Hart - New premises

25th September 1926. 115-126 Briggate. This was part of the turn-of-the century Leeds Estates Company development. The first occupant of the shop on the corner of King Edward Street and Briggate was Charles James Fox, piano dealer. It was being used by G. Cooke and Son, outfitters, before H. and D. Hart, milliners and furriers, moved there from 2-4 New Briggate to 116 Briggate just prior to the taking of this photograph in September 1926. To the right of the photo is Matthias Robinson, Drapers. Hart's was acquired by Matthias Robinson in 1938. Matthias Robinson was bought out by Debenham's in 1962, and the store was officially known as Debenham's from 1972. On the left on the corner of Briggate and King Edward Street is Boots the Chemist.

About this image

Subject ID: 2002426_75623721
Creator / Copyright: Leeds City Engineers Department / Leeds Library & Information Services
View on Leodis.net

Memories