The Headrow, static water tanks
3rd October 1944. View of the Headrow and Lewis's from Briggate. A wartime photograph, complete with emergency static water tanks and blast barriers in front of the shop doors. Lewis's, founded in Liverpool in 1856, came to Leeds in the 1930's. Work on the 6,000 square yard site began in 1930 and the store was officially opened on 17 September 1932. Extensions were made throughout the 1930s, with fourth, fifth and sixth floors added just before the start of the war. The architects were Atkinson and Shaw.