Armley Mills, Canal Road
Undated. View of mill buildings and goit. This was the site of an old fulling mill, dating back to 1590, known as Casson's Mills. After Peter Casson's death in 1617, the mill was run by his family. Then, new owners or tenants continued to work the mill, including John Walker from 1782-1797. In 1788 Colonel Thomas Lloyd purchased the mill at a cost of £5,250. He had a dam and watercourse constructed to take the River Aire under the mill. This mill burned down in 1805. Next, Benjamin Gott bought the property.
This picture shows the mill after it was rebuilt by Benjamin Gott. When he rebuilt it around 1801-1805 it was the largest mill in the world.