Gledhow Hall, Military Hospital
c1915-1919. View of Gledhow Hall on Gledhow Lane, taken during the First World War when it was being used as a Voluntary Aid Detachment (VAD) Hospital for wounded servicemen. Several patients are seen recuperating in the grounds. Gledhow Hall was seen as a pioneer among VAD hospitals in the outdoor treatment of surgical cases. Seven huts were built in the grounds for the worst cases, with 2 beds in each hut and a radiator in between. Amusements and entertainments were seen as paramount in the rehabilitation of the soldiers with many sporting activities and drama and concert performances organised, as well as creative writing, crafts and needlework. The hospital closed on 31st March 1919 having treated a total of 2250 patients.