Gledhow Hall Military Hospital, Edith Cliff and patients outside "Blighty" Hut
c1915-1919. This view of Gledhow Hall Military Hospital during the First World War shows the Commandant, Miss Edith Cliff, along with a group of soldiers with varying injuries outside one of the small huts in the grounds. The hut, named Blighty, was one of 7 which had two beds in each with a radiator between, and was open at the front with a waterproof sheet that could be drawn down. These were used as part of a pioneering outdoor treatment of surgical cases. One of the soldiers is holding the hospital's mascot, a doll dressed in a soldier's uniform which was known as "Sergeant Michael Cassidy".