Leeds Parks Project (33 photos)
This collection features images collected and digitised as part of the ‘Future Prospects of Urban Parks’ project, conducted by researchers at the University of Leeds (2015-2017). The project used the history of Leeds parks to think anew about the future of public parks and green spaces in our changing cities. The first public park in Leeds was purchased in the 1850s, and by the First World War, the Council managed around 30 parks and recreation grounds. Parks were commonly referred to as ‘the lungs of Leeds’, and were acquired to provide a space for healthful recreation apart from the rapidly growing and industrialising city. The most notable example was Roundhay Park, which opened in 1872, and today remains one of the largest urban parks in Europe. Besides everyday recreation, parks also hosted major civic events, and, by the late nineteenth century, were used increasingly for organised sports and games. This collection includes a selection of images digitised as part of this project; to find more from this series, search for ‘Future Prospects of Urban Parks’ on the main Leodis site. The ‘Future Prospects of Urban Parks’ project was conducted by the University of Leeds in partnership with Leeds City Council, and supported by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (grant number: AH/N001788/1).