Briggate, Bow Windowed Shop
1890 photograph of the last bow windowed shop in Briggate (no 51). This was the premises of William Green and Sons, formerly Buck and Jackson. This was demolished in 1922. The passage on the right leads to the Turk's Head Tavern (Whitelocks) established in 1715. The photographer, Alfred Mattison, was born in Hunslet in 1868. His passion for local history led to lecturing, photography and writing. In 1908 he wrote "The Romance of Old Leeds" based on his articles and photos for the Yorkshire Daily Observer. He died following a street accident in Leeds in Sept 1944.